The best dried mango in the Philippines, like its fresh counterpart, is known for its sweet, tropical flavor. It preserves the vibrant orange or yellow color of fresh mango and has a chewy, slightly sticky texture due to its natural sugar content.
Dried mango is a popular and convenient snack, offering a tasty and nutritious alternative to many processed sweets and candies. However, it is important to consume it in limited quantities due to its calorie and sugar content.
The process of making dried mangoes in the Philippines involves several important steps to transform fresh mangoes into a tasty and shelf-stable snack.
Here is an overview of the specific process:
Step 1: Selecting Fresh Mangoes
- The process begins with the careful selection of ripe and high-quality mangoes, often of the Carabao variety. These mangoes are known for their sweet and tasty pulp.
Step 2: Cleaning and Prep
- The selected mangoes are thoroughly cleaned to remove any dirt or contaminants.
Step 3: Peeling and Digging
- The cleaned mangoes are then peeled and their skin is removed, revealing the bright and sweet fruit inside.
- To ensure that only edible fruit is used, the pit (or pits) of the mango are also removed.
Step 4: Slicing
- After peeling and pitting, the mangoes are cut into uniform pieces or strips. The size and shape of the slices may vary depending on the desired end product.
Step 5: Drying
- The cut mango pieces are placed in a dehydrator or oven set at low temperature. This low heat slowly removes moisture from the mangoes and retains their natural flavor and nutrients.
- The drying process can take several hours and requires careful monitoring to achieve the desired texture and moisture level.
Step 6: Cooling and Packaging
- Once the dried mango pieces have reached the optimum level of dryness, they are removed from the drying equipment and allowed to cool to room temperature.
- After cooling, the dried mango pieces are packed in airtight containers or sealed bags to maintain their freshness and extend their shelf life.
- Throughout the process, quality control measures are implemented to ensure that the dried mangoes meet specific standards for taste, texture, and appearance.
- Manufacturers may also check uniformity in size and absence of foreign materials.
- Dried mangoes can be packaged and sold as standalone snacks.
- It is also used as an ingredient in various culinary applications, such as baking, trail mix, and salads.
Storage and Distribution:
- Packaged dried mango is stored in a cool, dry place to maintain its quality.
- It is distributed to local and international markets, showcasing the delicious and sweet taste of Philippine mangoes to consumers around the world.
The process of making dried mango in the Philippines allows the tropical sweetness of the mango to be preserved and makes it a popular and convenient snack enjoyed locally and globally. However, like any dried fruit, it is recommended to be consumed in limited quantities due to its calorie and sugar content.
Philippine dried mangoes are often exported and enjoyed internationally, showcasing the country’s delicious mangoes worldwide.
Why Philippine dried mango is famous
Philippine mango, scientifically known as Mangifera indica, is a variety of mango that is native to and mainly cultivated in the Philippines. It is one of the most popular and well-respected mango varieties globally, earning the nickname “King of Fruits” due to its exceptional taste, aroma, and texture.
Key Features of Philippine Mango:
Variety: The most commonly grown mango variety in the Philippines is the “Carabao” mango, locally known as “Manggang Kalabao” or simply “Carabao”. It is the most preferred and widely grown mango in the country.
Taste: Philippine mangoes are celebrated for their sweet and salty taste. These are often described as having rich, tropical sweetness with flavors of peach and lemon. The balance of sweetness and mild tartness is the hallmark of the Philippine mango.
Aroma: These mangoes are famous for their delectable, fruity aroma that can fill an entire room when ripe. The fragrance is an important part of their appeal.
Texture: Philippine mangoes typically have smooth, non-fibrous pulp that is tender and juicy, making them easy to eat.
Color: When ripe, Carabao mangoes are usually golden yellow in color with a red blush on the skin. The pulp is bright orange.
Differences in Varieties: While Carabao mangoes are the most prominent, the Philippines cultivates different varieties of mangoes with unique flavors and characteristics.
Philippine mangoes are usually eaten fresh, either cut or peeled.
They are used in a variety of dishes from salads and salsas to desserts and smoothies.
Dried mangoes, mango juice, and preserves are also popular products made from these mangoes.
Cultivation: The tropical climate of the Philippines is ideal for mango cultivation. Mango season typically runs from March to June, with its peak in April and May.
Philippine mangoes are a source of national pride and are exported to many countries due to their superior taste and quality. They are a versatile fruit, enjoyed fresh and used as an ingredient in many culinary creations.
Nutritional Value of Dried mango Philippines
|Nutrient||Amount per 100g of Dried Mango|
|Calories||Approximately 325-350 calories|
|Carbohydrates||Around 80-85 grams|
|Dietary Fiber||Approximately 4-5 grams|
|Sugars||About 65-70 grams|
|Protein||Approximately 2-3 grams|
|Fat||Negligible (usually less than 1 gram)|
|Vitamin A||A significant source, providing over 80% of the Daily Value (DV)|
|Vitamin C||A moderate source, offering around 10-15% of the DV|
|Calcium||In moderate amounts, usually providing 6-8% of the DV|
|Iron||In moderate amounts, typically contributing 6-8% of the DV|
|Potassium||A good source, offering about 10-15% of the DV|
|Vitamin E||In small amounts, providing around 2-3% of the DV|
Why are dried mangoes famous in Cebu?
Dried mangoes from Cebu, Philippines are celebrated for their excellent quality and taste. Cebu, one of the provinces in the Philippines, is famous for producing some of the best dried mangoes in the country.
Here are the key features and characteristics of dried mangoes from cebu:
Flavor and Taste:
Dried mangoes from Cebu are known for their exceptionally sweet and rich flavor. It embodies the natural sweetness and tropical flavor of mango.
These dried mango pieces retain a chewy and slightly sticky texture because of their natural sugar content. This texture enhances the overall experience of eating.
Cebu-dried mangoes often have a strong and pleasant fruity aroma. The scent is a significant part of their appeal.
When ripe, dried mangoes typically have a vibrant golden-yellow color with a reddish blush on the skin. The flesh is bright orange.
cebu dried mangoes are usually enjoyed as standalone snacks. They offer a convenient and healthy way to satisfy a sweet craving.
They are used as ingredients in various recipes, adding sweet and fruity elements to baked goods, salads, and trail mix.
To preserve their freshness and quality, cebu dried mangoes are often packed in airtight containers or sealed bags. Proper packaging helps to increase their shelf life.
Production and Export:
Cebu is an important center for the production and export of dried mango. These mangoes have wide demand in local and international markets.
Cebu-dried mangoes have earned a reputation for their exceptional flavor, texture, and quality.
Their popularity also extends beyond the Philippines, making them a favorite snack and ingredient in various culinary creations around the world. However, like any dried fruit, it is recommended to consume them in moderation due to their calorie and sugar content.
Where to buy dried mango in cebu
You can purchase dried mango in Cebu, Philippines from a variety of sources including local markets, supermarkets, specialty stores, pasalubong centers, dried mango factories, duty-free shops, and online retailers.
These options offer a wide array of dried mango products, including sweet and spicy varieties. When shopping for dried mango, consider factors such as brand, packaging, and quantity and ensure the quality of the product by checking the label and expiry dates.
Asking around among locals or asking for recommendations from hotel staff can help you find the best places to buy dried mangoes in Cebu. Enjoy this delicious tropical dish in moderation because of its calorie and sugar content.
What is 7d dried mango
7D Dried Mango is a popular brand known for producing high-quality dried mango products. The “7D” in the brand name stands for “Seven Dried”, reflecting their commitment to delivering top-grade dried fruits, especially dried mangoes.
Here are some of the key features and characteristics of 7D Dried Mango:
Taste and flavor:
7D Dried Mango is known for its exceptional sweetness and rich mango flavor. It offers the true taste of tropical fruits.
The brand offers a range of dried mango products, including sweet and spicy chili-spicy dried mangoes. This variety allows consumers to choose their favorite taste.
7D Dried Mango retains its distinctive chewy and slightly sticky texture typically associated with dried mango. The texture enhances the overall eating experience.
7D Dried Mango products are generally packaged in resealable bags, making them convenient for snacking and storage. Proper packaging helps in maintaining their freshness.
Quality and Quality Control:
The brand is known for its commitment to quality. Their dried mango undergoes rigorous quality control measures to ensure that it meets specific standards for taste, texture, and appearance.
7D dried mango is widely available in the Philippines and is also exported to international markets, making it accessible to consumers around the world.
7D Dried Mango is usually enjoyed as a stand-alone snack. It provides a healthy and natural alternative to processed sweets.
It can be used as an ingredient in various culinary applications, such as baking, trail mix, and salads.
Apart from the classic sweet dried mango, 7D also produces dried mangoes with spicy flavor. Their chili-spice dried mango offers a sweet and salty combination with a hint of heat.
7D Dried Mango has gained a reputation for its quality and variety of flavors, which appeal to both mango lovers and those who enjoy the sweet and salty combination of chili-spicy dried mango.
Like all dried fruits, they are recommended to be consumed in moderation due to their calorie and sugar content.
Dried Mango Price in the Philippines
The price of dried mango in the Philippines can vary depending on many factors including brand, quality, packaging, and place of purchase.
Here is a general idea of what you can expect in terms of the price of dried mangoes in the Philippines:
|Source||Price Range (100g Pack)|
|Local Markets||PHP 60 to PHP 120 (around $1 to $2)|
|Supermarkets||PHP 80 to PHP 150 (around $1.50 to $3)|
|Specialty Stores||PHP 150 to PHP 250 (around $3 to $5) or more|
|Dried Mango Factories||Prices may vary; often provide special deals|
|Online Retailers||Prices vary based on brand, quantity, and promotions|
People Also Ask
The best mango in the Philippines:
- Carabao mango, also known as Philippine mango, is one of the most renowned mango varieties in the Philippines, celebrated for its exceptional sweetness and rich flavor.
Are Philippine-brand dried mangoes healthy?
- Yes, they can be a healthy snack when enjoyed in moderation. They retain essential nutrients but should be consumed carefully due to their sugar content.
Does dried mango spike blood sugar?
- Dried mangoes have a high sugar content due to the natural sugars in mangoes. While they can cause a quick rise in blood sugar levels, the impact varies among individuals. If you have diabetes or are monitoring your blood sugar, it’s best to consume them in moderation.
Where is dried mango from in the Philippines?
- Dried mango is produced in various regions in the Philippines, but Cebu is particularly famous for its high-quality dried mango products.
What is the famous dried mango brand in Cebu?
- One of the renowned dried mango brands in Cebu is “7D Dried Mangoes,” known for its high-quality products.
Who is the owner of 7D dried mangoes?
- The owner of 7D Dried Mangoes is Jose D. Delima.
What are the ingredients in 7D dried mango?
- 7D Dried Mangoes typically contain mangoes and sugar. The exact ingredients may vary by product.
What is the price per pound of dried mango?
- The price of dried mango can vary widely based on factors like brand, quality, and packaging. Prices are usually indicated per 100-gram pack rather than per pound.
What is the dried mango capital of the Philippines?
- Cebu, particularly Lapu-Lapu City in Cebu, is often referred to as the “dried mango capital” of the Philippines due to its prominent role in producing high-quality dried mango products.